Fred Hollows Foundation, Australia
Our organisation is inspired by Professor Fred Hollows (1929–1993). Fred was an eye doctor, a skilled surgeon of international renown and a social justice activist who championed the right of all people to high quality affordable eye care and to good health.
In 2008 alone, The Fred Hollows Foundation:
- Performed 176,472 eye operations and treatments
- Provided eye care for more than 1.3 million people in 18 countries
- Trained 5,217 eye health workers
- Supplied more than $1.5 million worth of medical equipment
- Substantially upgraded or built 29 eye health centres.